Keeping everything in one spot. Will be updated over time.
- Wikipedia article. Useful as links to other sources.
- Plutarch’s report of the death of Pan. In some Christian tellings, connected to/occurred at the death of Jesus.
- Pan and the Nightmare by James Hillman. The first half by Hillman is excellent. The second half by Roscher was less interesting for me.
- Elizabeth Barret Browning:
- “A Musical Instrument”
- “The Dead Pan”, in which EBB rejoices in the death of Pan and the superiority of Christianity. Perhaps contrary to authorial intent, I was really feeling her mournful description of the silence of the Greek gods in the first half–then came the “good riddance” and I was less sympathetic.
- The Great God Pan: The Survival of an Image by John Boardman. Brief art history book. Nice photographs, but not quite what I was looking for.
- Weird Studies podcast episode on Pan. I’ll be re-listening to this one in order to make some notes.
- Hellier documentary. Ends up having a connection to Pan. I love this series, if for no other reason than the joy of watching people having a paranormal investigation adventure. There’s also a Weird Studies episode on Hellier.
- The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen. Great short story from an early horror writer. What happens when a guy says he can make someone see the spirit world with just a bit of minor brain surgery?
- “Sketches of the Goat God in Albion” by Gyrus. Excellent essay. Not a lot new in terms of lore or analysis after reading the above (in fact, he is relying on some of these same sources) but this essay adds some excellent stories and experiences.
To be read:
- The Cult of Pan in Ancient Greece by Philippe Borgeaud
- Pan the Goat-God by Patricia Merivale