Well it’s been about ten months since the last of these. I continued building things in 2023 but just didn’t keep track of them in this format:
- I built two new raised beds: here and here.
- A window box in April.
- I pulled a lot of nails in June.
- In July, I did a very rough-and-ready job of insulating about half the garage walls and covering them with plywood. Mostly to give more structure to the walls so I can put up shelves.
- A pasta tree in August.
So what did I do this weekend?
- I already had the boards glued up for Rex Krueger’s low workbench but hadn’t done anything more with it since last fall. This weekend I trimmed the ends and barely started planing the surface. Next step will be the legs.
- Hand planes, man. They’re a trip. I mentioned last July that I lucked into a handful of them for nearly nothing. I wanted to use the Stanley #5 for surfacing the low bench but I’m increasingly convinced that it’s just jacked up (it’s one of the two I got with the Target gift card I won) and needs much more attention than I’ve given it so far. I’ll be watching some YouTube videos on the subject this week.
- Also, it’s surprisingly difficult to buy a simple whetstone around here! I wanted a hand-sized one for sharpening a hatchet and I ended up having to go to a hardware store in the next town south.
- I built a simple shelf for the garage. My sharpening stuff is there for now.
- Practiced sharpening some pocket knives. If I come to the end of my life having attained the ability to consistently put a sharp edge on a blade, I will go gentle into that good night.